contains the hacks I've been playing with so far.
The idea is to have a rendernode + gbm using server side renderer, that creates textures and FBOs attached to them, renders into them, then sends them to a client side, which renders the contents to the screen using GL rendering.
This code reuses keithp's fd passing demo code and some of dvdhrm's simple dma-buf code.
Firstly the server uses GBM and rendernodes to create a texture, that it binds to a FBO. It generates an EGLImage from the texture using EGL_GL_TEXTURE_2D_KHR, then uses EGL_MESA_drm_image to get a handle for it, then uses libdrm drmPrimeHandleToFD to create an fd to pass to the server. It passes the fd using the fdpassing code. It then clears the texture, sends the texture info to the client, along with a dirty rect, clears it again, and sends another dirty rect.
The client side, uses EGL + GLES2 with EXT_image_dma_buf_import to create an EGLImage from the dma-buf, then uses GL_OES_EGL_image to create a 2D texture from the EGLImage then just renders the texture to a window.
Shortcomings I've noticed in the whole stack so far:
a) asymmetric interfaces abound:
1) we have an EGLImage importer for dma-buf EXT_image_dma_buf_import, but we have no EGLImage dma-buf exporter yet - hence the MESA_drm_image + libdrm hack.
2) we have an EGLImage exported for Desktop OpenGL, EGL_KHR_gl_image works fine. But we only have EGLImage importers for GLES, GL_OES_EGL_image - hence why the client is using GLES2 to render not GL like I'd like.
b) gallium is missing dma-buf importing via EXT_image_dma_buf_import, I have a quick patch, since we have the ability to import from fds just not from dma-bufs, I should send out my first hack on this.
The demo also has color reversing issues I need to sort out, due to gallium code needing a few more changes I think, but I've gotten this to at least run on my machine with nouveau and the hacked up dma-buf importer patch.